Monday, November 1, 2010

Imagination by Daniel M

A New City
I woke up, staring at my hands, cluttered with cuts and slashes, dripping blood down my wrist and leaving a small pool right in front of my face. I cleared my eyes again then double checked and my hands were still bright red. I had no idea what was going on; I looked to my left and to my right and saw nothing, nothing but only darkness. All of the sudden I heard some talking, garbling coming from far away. I groped around in the darkness tripping my way to to a closed window draped in black curtains. I moved the curtains and the light blinded me. I thought to myself, "When was the last time I saw light? That sound caught my attention again. I looked to the right and saw creatures, clearly not human gathering around a fire danging and chanting. In the center I was shocked to see two humans tied up being prepared to serve as sacrifices. One of the creatures looked up and saw me so I ran backwards, stumbling over objects. I hid behind a block of objects, drenched in fear and pain, waiting, shivering about the unknown and wondering what happened to myself.

I thought to myself as I was hiding in sheer fear. Where am I? What is going on? I tried to picture the creatures and the people and the setting, but nothing came to mind. I was too shocked to think properly. I thought and though, squeezing myself and hurting my head from trying to remember anything. Then it came to me; I remember being in Central Park playing football then walking back to my apartment. I kept on thinking, but I just could not remember anything else. Wait?!? Was this really New York? It was different, appearing nothing like the city, only piles of rubble. The skyscrapers were knocked down and the park on fire with smoke billowing from the ground. The only thing that I could see that triggered my memory, out of the corner of my eye was the George Washington Bridge, which had a gaping hole in the center of it. I began to panic, my city was destroyed, and there was no sine of human life except for the two poor souls captured by the foreign creatures. Was I alone in the world?

A Crash sounded in the background, and my immediate reaction was that it was one of the creatures coming to kill me after they executed the other two. I pictured myself as the last survivor in the city and the entire world, however dying not as a hero but as a coward. I heard the garbling again, it kept getting closer and closer; I trembled in fear, praying that God will save me and save the entire human race. Wait? I questioned myself about God's existence; why would he do this to me? To the other two? And to the world?

Suddenly the steps sounded closer and I could see the hue of their skin and glow of their weapons. I immediately thought it was over, that these foreign creatures would kill me and wipe out the human race. The was nothing left I could do but mentally prepare for death.

My family and friends came to mind as moments of my life flashed in my eyes. I thought of thought of myself and then them. Death would not happen now; I would live on to carry my family's name and save the human race. I held my breath for what seemed like an eternity. Finally after I turned blue from holding my breath, I let out a loud gasp. The creatures heard this exhale and slowly came my way. They lifted a cover over me and saw me trembling in fear. They talked in their language and then held a gun to me, glowing on my forehead. I closed my eyes in utter fear and clenched my teeth and tried to think peaceful thoughts in this dark time........

No comments:

Post a Comment