Monday, November 1, 2010

An Experience Like No Other on Planet Optimum by Sean O'Neill

Day 361:

It is the year 2025, I am 22 years old, and I can now say I have had the experience of a lifetime. After finishing college at Princeton University, I packed up my things and moved to the planet Optimum for the next year. My objective in coming to this planet is to experience a culture unknown to my civilization so that I can live a more diverse life and become more accepting. To complete this objective, some of the requirements are to understand the culture that lives here and their lifestyles. It is necessary to also partake in their educational process and get to know kids that are my age. I need to be able to eat, sleep, and breather like the people of this planet do by the end of this year. This is my 361st Day on this planet, and it has been an amazing experience. Although I’ve only been here a year, I feels like it has been an eternity. There are so many unique qualities of this planet that differ from anywhere else I have ever been. Experiencing the living style, the people, and all of the activities that go on have been a great benefit.

Day 362:

It is Monday and this will be my last day of school. On this planet there are only 3 days of school a week and the school day is only 1 hour long. All of the classes involve virtual reality and are accelerated so that the learning process will not take as long. Each classroom only has one seat and the virtual reality helmet which is required for learning. Your teacher for each class is an expert in the topic your studying, which could range from William Shakespeare to George Washington. Today I learned with Albert Einstein about E = mc2. It makes learning much easier when you can learn this information first hand. I also played basketball with Michael Jordan during gym class. Gym becomes much more exciting when you can play with professional athletes. After my hour of schooling, I enjoy lunch with my friends by eating freeze dried pizza, which is very popular on this planet. The rest of the day was kind of boring and didn’t involve anything interesting.

Day 363:

On my off day from school, I get to enjoy the day by spending it with my planet Optimum friends. The people on planet Optimum have been more then generous and accepting since I arrived here, and I truly commend them for that. They do not look like humans, with their royal blue skin and bright green eyes. They all have two foot long hair, and are all about 7 feet tall. They seemed intimidating at first, but with their warm personalities and giving nature, we became great friends instantly. Without the kindness of this population, I probably would never have been able to stay on this planet the entire year.

Day 364:

Today is a day of preparation. I am packing all of my belongings and preparing to leave this planet and go back to Earth. There are many things to accomplish before I can leave this planet though. For one, I have to close down my house and sell it to somebody, which is actually very easy on this planet because of all of the people moving here. Next I have to get rid of all of my food, which I will accomplish by giving some away and eating most of it myself. I then have to say goodbye to all of the friends I have made during my stay on this planet, which will take a long time. After all of this, I have to pack all of my items into my spacecraft and get it ready to leave tomorrow.

Day 365 (Final Day):

It is now my final day on this planet and I am very sad to have to leave. I have had a wonderful experience here and it will be one that I will never forget. I hope to keep in touch with all of the people I have met here and definitely hope to come back here. If I ever do come back, I intend on staying here for the rest of my life. I will buy a house, find a wife, and have many kids so that they too can experience this wonderful place. It will be nice to see my own family back on Earth and tell them about my experience on this planet. I’m sure they will be amazed at all of the advancements that this planets has, especially the low gravity golf for my father. Although I am saddened to leave this planet, I cannot wait to get back home. Having an experience of a lifetime does not come around every day. It is important that if you do get this opportunity, you do not pass it up, because it will probably never come around again. I am fortunate enough to get the opportunity to visit another planet in a few months, Planet Maximum.

No comments:

Post a Comment