Monday, November 1, 2010

Archangel Guardian of Shangri La by T Fahey

It is the year 2431. Thirty years ago the Earth was attacked by an evil extraterrestrial race called the Cardamonians. Because the governments of the world were divided amongst themselves many cities fell easily. For over the decade the nations of the world struggled to hold off the alien invaders. Many cities such as New York, London and Tokyo were destroyed in the conflict. Eventually because of their common foe the nations of the world united Untied Earth Alliance was formed. The UEA was able to ward off the Cardamonians back into space. As time passed the UEA lowered their guard and believed the aliens would not return. Over the next few years they attempted to rebuild cities lost in the war. Then one day five years later the Cardamonians returned. Armed with advanced technology they restarted their quest to destroy Earth. Billions of people were mercilessly slaughtered as they bombed cities one by one. I remember watching in horror as their massive red and black ships rained hail-fire upon my hometown of Neo New York. Giant bug-like mechs ran rampart in the streets leaving only destruction in their path. The UEA's starfighters proved useless against the superior weaponry of the Cardamonians. Before I knew it the city of Neo New York was in ruins. Since my parents were killed in the bombing I was orphaned and alone in the world. I would forever hate the Cardamonians and swear to avenge the deaths of those dear to me.
(Flashback)February 21st 2426
Eventually I was found by a UEA airship and rescued. They placed me and the other survivors in an underground shelter. They told us that one day when the war was over we could return to Neo New York. Although I was only eleven years old I did not believe them. After witnessing the destruction of my home I truly wondered if humanity could win this war. As hope of victory grew smaller the leaders of the world decided to abandon Earth. A massive starship called the Ark was constructed. I and the five million survivors of the apocalypse boarded the ship hoping to find a new planet to call home. For two years we drifted through the cosmos searching. We found many planets but none could maintain life. Eventually as we reached the end of the galaxy we found a planet with habitable conditions. It is a large planet with lush emerald forest and pure blue oceans. We called the planet Shangri La and the planet became humanity's new home and paradise.
May 17th 2431
Today I am living in the city of Neo Olympus the capital of Shangri La. I am studying to become a member of the UEA Space Forces so I can one day battle the Cardamonians. During my normal morning routine of watching the holographic news report an announcement was made that all teens between the ages of sixteen to nineteen years old must report to the UEA's main command center under the orders of Admiral Griffin. I got up instantly and headed to the nearest hovertransit train. The UEA's command center is a massive complex in the middle of Shangri La's ocean. By hovertransit it took only half and hour to get their. When I arrived I was immediately taking to a large briefing room. There many other's like myself sat asking each other why they had been called here. In the front of the auditorium stood Admiral Griffin. He was a tall man with a bright grey beard. His green eyes were filled with age wisdom and experience. When every seat in the room was the Admiral began his speech. "Ladies and Gentlemen of Shangri La you are being called upon to defend your planet." he said. "From this day forth you will be test candidates in Project Archangel. Some of you will make it some of you will fail but regardless the future rests in your hands."
Not long after the speech we were taken to a shuttle bay in the complex. After we boarded we were sent to Shangri La's moon where the UEA had built a military outpost. It was there that we finally learned the purpose of Project Archangel. After studying the bug mechs of the Cardamonians and discovering advanced technology on Shangri La the UEA developed there own mechs. Due to limited amount of advanced technology they were only able to develop five units. Humanoid in appearance the mechs looked like massive knights with mechanical angel's wings. Each unit was a different color red, blue, green, black, and white. After looking at the Archangel units we were sent to training. We were required to wear a special pilot's suits and a special headset. We were then placed into egg shaped simulators designed on the Archangel's cockpits. When I first got into the simulator I noticed there were no controls for the mech. Then a scientist appeared on the monitor in front of me and told me that the robot was neurally linked to me and controlled my brain. I was then thrust into a simulated battle with the Cardomonian forces. Laser fire of an emerald hue flew by me as I struggled to control the robot. "Move you piece of junk" I thought to myself "I don't want to die yet." Suddenly the Archangel began to respond to my commands and dodged the enemy fire. I then focused upon the enemy and shot back at them. Blue laser bolts shot towards the enemy and destroyed them immediately. I fired upon other bug mechs with everything I had. After running out of ammo I activated the Archangels sword and slashed at the final target. Then the simulation ended and I exited the pod. Those who lost in the simulation were sent home and the winners were forced to stay.
October 8th 2431
Months have passed since the first training simulation. I am finally starting to get used to the operating system of the Archangel. Many of the others candidates have been washed out of the program. Only twenty of us remain. Although we have not encountered the Cardomonians since the fall of Earth, I have a feeling they will return for us. When that day comes I will be ready to stop them once and for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment