Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"My Future Awakening" by Tomasz Cichon

May 27, 2050:
I wake up in a hospital in Hackensack, NJ...with a beard! My eyes hurt and my body seems very different and significantly bigger. I look around to find my family surrounding my bed that is amazed and perplexed. I see everyone crying and I am soon informed that the year is 2050 by the doctor and I have been in a coma for about forty years after hitting my head while rock climbing. As I am walking out from the hospital with my family, I almost immediately notice the new technology. Instead if televisions, there are holograms for viewing programs on the walls of the hospital. I also kept thinking to myself where all the attractive nurses were. Then, I notice that they have been replaced by robots that follow every command of the doctor and patients. The inside world of all the rooms in the building seems so much brighter, with flickering lights and new sounds. Finally, as we make our way outside, I wonder confusedly where the car is. I ask my family if the walked. Suddenly, I see my dad pull out a mini phone device and calls a taxi. After a few seconds, I step into a hovering cab that flies back to above the skies, and drops me off home with my family. I was a little air sick even though the cab ride lasted only 25 seconds.

May 28, 2050:
I am awakened in the morning by a robot maid serving me breakfast. After I take my shower and the robot brushes my teeth, I sit down to play some video games on my Sony Playstation 12. Soon, when I step outside with my jet pack strapped to my back, I gaze at the new technical world that I am so unfamiliar with. Everything seemed so shiny, and bright. Even everyone's clothes looked like space suits, compared to my jeans. Suddenly, my father brings me back to consciousness from my gazing of the street, and teaches me how to fly with the jet-pack nicely and swiftly. It took some time getting used to, but I got the hang of flying rather quickly, so I set out to see if I could find my friends from the time that I knew them forty years go. I guess I won't be needing my driver's license anymore.

June 9, 2050:
As a couple of days pass in my new, unfamiliar world, it is evident that a huge problem exists that would take a severe amount of time to solve. I don't know who my friends are since everyone is grown, and I don't even have a clue on how to use this new technology. The computers are holograms that float in the air and appear with a simple voice command to my watch. Now, we use "Windows gold 32" as a standard operating system. My mind and I are going crazy. Everything is just different and strange. The food, air, houses, and even the language isn't the same. My family provides no help for me since they are all very busy. My parents have to work almost the whole day in order to pay off the hospital bills. That reminds me, I'm now fifty-six years old, and don't even have a simple job! My body and mind can't function right since there are so many things to learn and get used to all in a short amount of time. Now, I just ate supper and since I am so overwhelmed by absolutely everything, I automatically knock myself out on my bed. It has got to be the stress. All I want to do at this moment is to make a wish to never have awakened in the hospital.

June 12, 2050:
Day by day, time goes on and it still seems like I have made no progress in my understanding and view of this new futuristic look in the world, let alone my own town. However, I try to break the ice and strap on my jet-pack this morning to search for the answer of the big question of where the people I once knew are right now, and to try and get my life back on track from where it was left off. To my amazement, I actually meet some of my old school friends about 10 minutes later while they were playing soccer on the field. Yes, sports like these still exist. They seemed very surprised and glad at the same time because they thought I was dead. Since it was time for me to head home now for lunch, we exchanged numbers and planned to go out tomorrow night. They said they would teach me the "new" way to hang around. This was a positive step for me, and at least something was going right.

June 13, 2050:
I was very excited for tonight from the moment I woke up from bed. I couldn't wait to hang out with my "old" friends again. To pass the time, I read some recent newspapers to discover what changed in the issues of the world throughout the years. I soon find out that Justin Bieber is now our country's president. I think to myself that this new world can't be real. Later, I realize that I've missed my appointment at the cafe with my friends because I got too caught up in reading events from the old newspapers. To cheer myself up, I decide to get myself a midnight snack. Upon my arrival at the 7-11 store to buy a drink and some cookies, two girls call out to me and ask me for my number and if I'm single. Then, I wake up to my mom yelling at me to go to school. It is monday and I have 3 exams today. The year is 2010. Well, atleast it was an interesting dream while it lasted. Now, my life really does stink.

No comments:

Post a Comment