Monday, November 1, 2010

Hardships of Life in the Future by Joey G


April 5, 3098

Day 1,

It’s been two long, difficult weeks since I arrived here in New America. The majestic purple skies, the beautiful natural volcanoes, and the perfect temperatures mask the brutal truth of this place. Life has not been easy, as I find it very challenging to get food and drink. As you know, the food nowadays is in pill form, unlike the ancient days of the twenty first century. Also, the people here are selfish and mean. Not one family has offered to take me in, or even give me some money. I don’t know how much longer I will survive.

April 7, 3098

Day 3,

Life like this is simply unbearable. The horrible people who surround me constantly mock me and laugh at my poverty. Nobody will feed me, and in order to survive I must steal. If I continue to live this way, I’ll surely be imprisoned and have no reason to go on. I find it depressing that the stories of this place claim it to be a land of prosperity and opportunity. However, all I have found is poverty and sadness.

April 10, 3098

Day 6,

Finally, the government has put me in a house where I can safely live. However, I still have no job or friends. Nobody wants to hire a foreign person who doesn’t even know where he is from. I can’t stand how the rumors of this place being so ‘perfect’ and everybody being so ‘giving’ are false. If I had known that New America is nothing like what the rumors claim it to be, I wouldn’t have come here in the first place.

April 20, 3098

Day 16,

Now that I am used to living in the city of this place, I have found beauty in the smallest places. For instance, the laughter of children playing in the street makes this place seem great. The sound of space-mobiles flying overhead and the reverberations of alien signals running through the air aren’t as threatening as they seemed before. I am beginning to like it here, and now realize that the rumors can be true, depending on how you interpret the surrounding environment.

April 29, 3098

Day 25,

After a long struggle which lasted longer than I can put in words, I am finally fitting in to this new society. I have a new job with steady income, I have a nice place to live, and I am being kept well fed. It took a long time and it was very difficult, but New America is now my new home. The rumors, which I previously ridiculed and revoked, are certainly true. It seems as if New America can be your sanctuary, just as easily as it can be your grave. I wonder where the coming weeks will take me in my new life as a New American.

No comments:

Post a Comment