Thursday, November 11, 2010

Future by Mike M

The year was 2010 and I volunteered to participate in a government funded program that studied the effects of sleep on the human body. I was placed in a coffin like box with tubes, lights, and unfamiliar technology lining the sides of the box. I was told the plan of the program was to put individuals to sleep using anesthesia, and then monitor their sleep habits while in the box. What happened next was what I least expected.
When I arose from the sleep monitoring coffin, I thought at first I was being fooled. I was in a glass bottomed aircraft and was looking down at a sea of lights and skyscrapers. I was no longer in the original testing room, but was in a science fiction like environment. I quickly rushed over to the electronic calendar on the wall and checked the date; the year said 2200! Had I really been asleep for almost 200 years!
After checking the date on the calendar I knew I must find a person on the aircraft to verify the truth of the calendar. I hurried out the doorway and into the corridor. All along the sides of the hallway were flashing buttons and pulleys that seemed to farfetched to even be real. When I finally reached the end of the hallway I came across a door that was like no other I have ever seen before; the door itself rose up into the frame and the portal opened. There was a sign in the room that said hovercrafts to the right; so I followed the sign. When I finally got there, sure enough there was a room full of bizarre looking machines that were like nothing I have ever seen before. I hopped onto the hover craft and flew down into the sea of lights and tremendous skyscrapers. As I descended lower towards the ground I noticed there was a vast amount of similar hovercrafts whizzing through the sky. I followed these hovercrafts to the top of a large building which seemed to be a parking lot for these advanced crafts. I landed my craft and began my journey to discover what was going on.
As I entered the building I saw thousands of floating steps that lead towards the bottom of the building. I hopped my way down to the bottom of the building and busted out the door and into the street. Only to be consumed by a herd of people traveling on segways. I noticed that my clothing must have been hundreds of years out of date because everyone was looking at me with confused faces as if they were xenophobic of my appearance. I forced my way through the segway traffic and walked towards a group of people waiting along the side of the road. I approached the group with a friendly demeanor, and politely asked what year it was. An older man patronizingly responded, and confirmed that it was indeed 2200.
I couldn’t believe it was really true. My heart dropped and I felt as if I was lost at sea. I was 200 years away from my life, and everything I once had was now gone. I could barely recognize my old home in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment